So I've been in Japan for a little over a month now and I'm finally settled in. I've been teaching for over week and slowly getting used to my job. I was basically thrown in headfirst with little-to-no training as a teacher but I think I'm doing pretty good now. The kids are awesome and I find that the younger they are, the more fun they are to teach. So far I've been doing self-introductions and basic english lessons for most of my classes. When the kids meet me for the first time they think I'm Japanese, but when I start speaking perfect english to them it blows their little minds. When we're not in the classroom I like speaking to them in Japanese so they can get to know me a little better. I think in a couple months when I acquire more teaching experience and get more involved in my town, I'll start to really enjoy my job.

I already mentioned before that I bought a car a few weeks ago. It was probably the best purchase I've made in Japan so far. The freedom to go wherever I want is awesome! I've been able to see things in and around my town that I would have never been able to without wheels, like visiting friends in different cities. I have a few more mini-roadtrips planned every weekend for basically the next five weeks, and I'm even driving down to Sapporo next month for a four day JET meeting/camping weekend. My goal is to see every part of Hokkaido while I'm here, which I figure is a two year task. The island itself isn't that huge, maybe 700km from tip to tip, and I'm fairly centred on the island so I can get to anywhere in a day by driving or by taking the train. I think after I conquer Hokkaido, I'll take on the rest of Japan... and then the world, muahaha! I'm also looking forward to when the snows starts to fall because then I can start to go snowboarding. I already have six hills in mind that I intend to hit up this winter. There's also a small ski hill in a town close by that will have a half-pipe so I think I'll probably get a season pass there. From what I've heard, the snow here is amazing and powdery, just the way I like it. The hills definitely aren't as big as the Rockies but some of the ones I've seen so far look really fun.

I've also started taking Aikido lessons again. I took lessons for a year around four years ago when I was in University. I figured that since I'm in Japan, it would be stupid of me not to take lessons. I found out that the founder of Aikido, Morihei Ueshiba, grew up in a town an hour away from here and that he was councilman in my town way back in the day. How cool is that?! There's a long history of Aikido in this part of Hokkaido and there's an Aikido master, one of the three highest ranking people in the world, that lives in a different town that's an hour away. One of my friends trains with him so I'm hoping to go out there and train with them a few times a month. The dojo I train in used to be a house but is currently under renovations. It's really small, maybe 12" x 20", has tatami flooring, the ceiling is plastic wrap held up by bungee cords, there are wall beams smack dab in the middle of the dojo, the walls are patched and peeling, and two single light bulbs provide the light. To be honest, it's probably the best dojo I've ever trained in. The atmosphere is so authentic and I feel like I'm in a movie when I train there. I'll put pictures of it up soon.

As for homesickness, I haven't really felt it since I've been here. I'm really enjoying my time here and I think I've just already accepted this place as my new home. I definitely miss my family and friends back in Canada but I think I'm independent enough not to let it get to me too much. Also, if you're one of the few who regularly read this blog, thank you very much! I enjoy writing these and hope you enjoy reading them, but also let me know what you guys are up to. Leave comments here or send me an email at jhatnguyen[at]gmail.com and just write a quick blurb on how you're doing and what you're up to. I'd honestly love to know!

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati