I randomly stumbled upon this little gem of a festival in my town last week during Obon, the festival to celebrate one's ancestors. I was tipped off by the sound of taiko drumming, the hanging paper lanterns, and the food tents just down the street from my apartment building. I left my apartment, walked 15 seconds up the street, and literally stepped into a Halloween costume catalog. There were people dressed up in everything you could imagine - cowboys, geisha, vampires, maids, anpanman, native indians, angels, Thomas the Tank Engine, witches, power rangers and other, only-in-Japan creations. Everyone danced around a pillar doing the "Bon Dance" (to honor the dead) while they were judged for best dance and best costume. The festival went on for a few hours and I got to try my hand at the Taiko drums. I've always wanted to do Taiko (real, not arcade) so it was pretty exciting for me. After telling them I wanted to join, I learned that I've already been a member of the town's Taiko group for months now. Apparently they signed me up earlier but forget to tell me when they practice! Here are some of the pics of the amazing costumes that puts Halloween to shame. Enjoy!

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati